Unit : OLD \"CAR 84\" / ENGINE 701
Year : 1953
Model : INTERNATIONAL TASC
CAR 84 / ENGINE 701
In 1953, the Old Bridge Volunteer Fire Department purchased this International Harvester Chassis Fire Engine from Trautwein and Sons Corporation (TASC), a local fire apparatus manufacturer in Woodbridge, New Jersey.
This engine replaced the 1936 Chevrolet Fire Engine and would run front line out of the Pine Street Fire House for the next eighteen years. It was originally assigned the East Brunswick Radio Car #84 when the Township first obtained mobile radios.
Upon completion of the Civic Center fire station in 1971, The 1953 International TASC engine was transferred to the Civic Center Fire House where it ran alone for three years until the 1974 Ford Imperial Mini-Pumper arrived and replaced it as the first out piece.
The 1953 International TASC engine would serve for another three years at the Civic Center Fire House until the arrival of the new 1976 HAHN engine.
By December of 1976, this 1953 International TASC engine was on its last leg. Plagued by electrical problems, a tired, underpowered motor, and a paint job that had completely faded, the 1953 truck was sold to a correctional institution in the southwest in the summer of 1976. Just before it left, members tried to get it called to a major brush fire in Monroe Township hoping it would fail on scene and meet a fiery death. It was never called. Needless to say, the membership was happy to see it go soon after the fire.
Trautwein and Sons Corporation (TASC) of Woodbridge, N.J. built many trucks for mostly New Jersey Fire Departments.
The cab to body sheet metalwork was unique and the quality of the TASC apparatus workmanship was excellent. Many surrounding departments had TASC apparatus and some of these trucks are still shown at parades and antique apparatus musters today.
This 1953 TASC engine served the O.B.V.F.D. well, but no piece of apparatus could have endured the pounding that our department gave this truck. There was no desire to keep it.OLD "CAR 84" / ENGINE 701
1953 INTERNATIONAL TASC
500 GPM PUMPER
RETIRED WINTER OF 1976